Burn Permits

Controlled burning is allowed in Pueblo West to help eliminate/control weeds and yard debris. Burn permits are required to be in the homeowner's possession at the time of the burn, and burning will only be allowed on days with appropriate weather.
A person tends to a controlled fire in a yard

Obtaining a Burn Permit

Burn permits are available at no cost to Pueblo West residents and can be obtained by visiting either Fire Station 1 or Fire Station 3 during normal business hours (8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday). Please note, fire personnel are on duty and may be out of the station responding on a call at any point in time. If no one answers the door, please try back later. Burn permits will not be issued on days that have been designated "Red Flag" days by the National Weather Service.

Requirements & Guidelines

In order to obtain a burn permit, a resident must meet and adhere to the following requirements and guidelines:
  • The individual must be the homeowner, or present a notarized, signed letter from the homeowner.
  • Must keep a charged hose and rake or shovel near fire to control/extinguish if necessary.
  • Must keep the fire at least 25 feet away from all structures (50 feet if you live in mobile home park).
  • Must only burn during daylight hours.
  • Must only burn small yard debris, such as grasses, tumbleweeds, small sticks, etc.
  • Must stay with the burn the entire time, until the fire is completely extinguished.
  • No burn shall contain prohibited materials, including but not limited to:
    • Animal remains
    • Asbestos-containing materials
    • Asphalts
    • Automobile parts
    • Garbage
    • Petroleum products
    • Plastics
    • Rubber
    • Tires
    • Treated wood
    • Wire insulation

Burning on Industrial Park Properties

For controlled burning on industrial park properties, you must contact the Pueblo City-County Health Department directly at 719-583-4307, located at 101 West 9th Street, in Pueblo, Colorado.